Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Jazz Fest 2007- Part 2





So, where were we when we left off?


Ah yes, I recall. We had just gotten back to our lovely hotel (The Homewood Suites on Poydras--good price, good location, free Abita beer) after the Rain Fest..............er, Jazz Fest on Friday.


My biggest problems at this point were that my phone had drowned, despite being in my pocket all day (NOTE: Cellphones do NOT like water), and my only comfortable pair of shoes were saturated with about 3 pounds of water each. And we had tickets to see the Bayou Rendezvous at Howlin' Wolf that night, so I needed some decent footware. Not to fear-----about an hour with a hairdryer blowing on high inside a shoe will dry it right out as good as new!! Just glad they stick those things on the walls of hotel bathrooms these days.



So anyway, off we went in search of nighttime entertainment and food. Not having reservations, we settled for an old favorite, Mulates. This is a good ole boy place that serves great cajun food (the Catfish smothered in Crawfish Etoufee sauce was as good as ever), cold Abita Amber, and on top of that is filled with old guys from the bayou out for a night of dancing to a live cajun band. It's about as good a time as you can have with your clothes on, especially if you're up for a stroll on the dance floor. Even if you're not, it's always a good time to sit back and watch these old coots pulling the young lovelies out onto the floor!


After filling our bellies (we hadn't eaten much at the fest due to the inclimate weather) we headed down to Howlin' Wolf. Now, I believe it's in a new location now. What used to be the Wolf is now a club called the Republic (BTW--I could be totally wrong about this). I believe Howlin' Wolf is now in a building that used to house a 2nd Praline Connection restaurant and also had a performance space in it. Anyway, it turned out to be real nice, spacious venue that was already cooking by the time we walked in. On stage was one of those acts that you're always stumbling into in New Orleans........ someone you'd have never sought out on your own but turn out to be just great. The guys name is Pap Mali. Well, okay, his real name is Malcolm Welbourne, but that doesn't matter. He's a young guy from Shreveport who spent his summers soaking up the funk music of New Orleans while vacationing there with his grandparents as a kid. Joining him onstage was the ubiquitous Henry Butler on piano as well as his own usual bass player and drummer. I forget the moniker they were going by that night, but they definitely had a swamp/funk groove going that was just great. Mali's guitar was deep and rich with voodoo soul. On top of that (for those of you who know him), I swear he looks just like Marty Cole with dreadlocks!!!!



Papa Mali (no, I didn't take this pic--it's from the net)


So, anyway, the Papa Mali set was a real treat and soon to follow were the New Orleans Social Club, consisting of Butler on piano (he really was everywhere), Leo Nocentelli on guitar, George Porter, Jr. on bass, and Ivan Neville on organ. They also played a very hot set. Butler was just a madman-at times they really had to reign him back in. He was really playing like a man possessed!! Unfortunately, my poor blistered (and now waterlogged) feet just couldn't hold up so we called it a night at about 1 am with the Social Club still onstage and another act yet to even appear!! Day 2 of the Fest loomed large ahead!


With the sun reemerging, Saturday brought with it exceptional crowds to the fairgrounds for day two. While there were soggy areas, it was really surprising how well the grounds had held up under the Friday rains. Crowd shot at Gentilly Stage on Day 2


This was Leah Chase's day in the Jazz Tent, so after morning Gumbo, I settled in there to try and get a good seat for a show that always draws a large and grateful local crowd. The act before Leah was a band called Woodshed, led by standup acoustic bassist James Singleton. Today, they were sharing the bill with electric bass virtuoso Roland Guerin. One of the highlights was an old jazz standard (and sorry, but I just can't recall what it was) performed solely by Singleton and Guerin. Guerin and Singleton: Dueling Basses


I managed to work my way into the middle section of the seating area by the time Leah appeared with her crack band, led by pianist and arranger Michael Pellera. It was to be a special day for me, when Leah announced that I had suggested she consider working up a jazz version of a Brian Wilson song. Now, up to then, all she really knew of the Beach Boys was "Fun, Fun, Fun" and "California Girls", but she took my suggestion to heart and dedicated a version of the Wilson ballad, "God Only Knows" to me. Not only was it touching of her to do it, but the version that Michael arranged for her was a total surprise with it's uptempo swing beat. It was a real surprise and a real treat for me. The crowd seemed to love her adventurousness too!



Here are a few pics of Leah's set:
Leah performing in front of a backdrop pic of her from a prior Fest



Leah's pianist and arranger, Michael Pellera



Leah with her sax player, a young UNO music student



From here I headed over to the Gospel Tent in hopes of catching some of Irma Thomas' tribute to Mahalia Jackson.............me and everyone else at the Fest!!! I couldn't get within 30 yards of the tent, and while I could still hear the sweet sounds, I elected to only linger a few minutes before heading out to explore a bit. My ultimate goal was to position myself for the Allman Brothers Band set, my first time seeing them live since slide wizard Derek Trucks joined the band. In the meantime, I strolled through some of the artisans stands to do a little shopping.



Jazz Fest Beads are always a favorite gift (we all know the "price" for a set of beads!!) This artist's alleged stripper girlfriend is every bit as colorful as his artwork!

I ultimately ended up at the Gentilly Stage, well before the Allman's scheduled time and just as a local band called Cowboy Mouth was taking the stage. I'd heard the name before but never seen or heard them play. The crowd, which I assumed was there for the Allman's, clearly knew these local favorites and were nearly as enthusiastic for the band as the band's leader, drummer Fred LeBlanc, was for them. From his first yelps of "Are you happy to be alive??!!!" through the final encore (a cover of Springsteen's "Born To Run") LeBlanc was feverishly working the crowd into a frenzy. He stood behind his drumset, which was positioned front and center, for a large part of the show and truly set the crowd on fire!

Cowboy Mouth working the crowd!


It was the perfect setup for the Allman Brothers, who came onstage to an absolutely packed Gentilly Stage audience.


The Allman Brothers take the stage.


The Allman's 2 hour set not only included classic such as "Statesboro Blues" and "Melissa", but also covers of Dr. John's "I Walk On Gilded Splinters" and Van The Man's "Into The Mystic". The set climaxed when they brought out Susan Tedeschi and former Allman keyboardist (and current Rolling Stones musical director and keyboardist) Chuck Leavell for an Allman's take on The Band's "The Weight", followed by a 16 minute version of "Jessica".



Chuck Leavell with The Allman Bros.



Dancing to the sounds of "Jessica".


I headed towards the buses as they were playing the last notes of closer "One Way Out". It was a truly beautiful day at jazz fest!!


(To Be Continued)

1 comment:

Mayorarnett said...

G,
I have been blogging in honor of my fortieth year as a professional musician. Here is the address.
http://mayorarnett.blogspot.com/
I downloaded Chuck Levell's latest, Southscape, from I tunes. He does a version of Jessica, but overall the too-short disc sounds like late seventies Keith Jarrett-Jan Garbreck. I like it.
Jon Cleary is a favorite. I saw him at the fest some years back guest with John Mooney and I've been a fan ever since.
A